Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Prospectus: Mental Illness

I will argue that, in today's modern and "informed" society, there still remains a stigma concerning mental illness. Many people today are suffering from mental illnesses, but still people are ignorant of the topic. Due to this ignorance, people with mental illnesses are judged and portrayed differently. I personally suffer from depression and I have seen how some people react to it. There are the few that understand it, but many people look at my differently because of it. Some believe that I can control whether I am depressed or not, but that’s not the case at all. The same is believed about other mental illnesses; that it is “all in the head”. Some people even go as far as to say that it’s the mentally ill person’s fault that they are that way. Mental illness is no different than physical illness. I hope that this paper helps to inform those people who are mental illness ignorant. I will be writing this paper as a blog. With a blog, more people can be reached. My audience will be people involved with mental illness so that they can pass it along to others that need to be informed and also to people that would like to be informed of mental illness. I will use sources from people within the mental illness community, preferably psychiatrists/psychologists, and people’s blog pages to add a personal touch to the argument. These sources will help give creditability to my paper and real life examples to relate to.

No comments: